Credit cards are popular financial instruments which are preferred by individual users because they allow instant spending and provide access to good deals, rewards, loyalty points and more. Getting yourself a feature-rich card may seem attractive but it is important to remember that card issuers verify and closely scrutinise each application before granting the requested card.
The topmost factor which all issuers look for is the applicant’s current income since it determines his/her capability to easily make bill payments. While getting a credit card with no income is challenging it is not entirely impossible. Here, we share smart hacks which can be used to easily get a credit card without showing an income proof. Read on to find out how.
How to Get a Credit Card Without Income Proof?
Here are some useful tips which can be used to get a credit card without necessarily showing an income proof:
- Present an Employment Letter - Companies generally issue an offer letter or joining letter stating your expected monthly salary, if you have just been interviewed and have qualified thereon. Although these letters may not carry the same weight as a confirmation letter, they are indicative of how much your potential earnings will be every month. Hence, these can suffice in getting a credit card on reasonable terms. If you are switching between jobs, this technique can help obtain a credit card.
- Try a secured credit card - Many credit card issuers grant a credit card if you pledge a fixed deposit or salary account as collateral. The FD or bank account will act as security, thus assuring the issuer that you will make timely repayments in case you are facing any financial crunch. Generally, the credit limit on secured cards is capped at 75% to 90% of the FD’s value. Accordingly, in case your bank account is offered as collateral, your credit limit will be capped as per the account’s balance.
- Apply for an Add-on Card - Credit card issuers sometimes allow an add-on card over the primary credit card that one of your family members may possess. For instance, you can apply for an add-on card if your parent, partner, or sibling happens to be a primary cardholder. You will then likely be able to enjoy the complete benefits that are associated with the primary credit card. This could be an ideal solution, especially if the primary cardholder has maintained a good credit history.
- Show a Bank Account with a Sufficient Balance – There could be times when you are unable to furnish proof of present income but have a healthy bank balance. This could be when you decide to retire early or have gathered sufficient income and are opting for a break from work. In such cases, the available funds act as an assurance about your capability to make timely repayments without a chance of default.
- Apply Jointly for a Credit Card – If you are a young professional applying jointly for a card with your father or are a non-salaried individual applying jointly with your partner, having a creditworthy co-applicant is an easy way to get a credit card without having to show income proof. This is because the creditworthiness of the co-applicant is used to your advantage.
- Use a Bank Account: The first step to get a credit card is to hold a bank account. A bank account acts as a credible source for issuers, and you will be considered less risky even if you cannot submit an income proof.
- Approach with a Plan: Before you own a credit card, make sure to have your financial planning in place. A proper plan is essential to make sure that there are no outstanding debts, credit is being monitored regularly, and if you own a credit card, you will be able to make timely repayments. This will also help in convincing a credit card issuer to grant you a card without income proof.
- Credit Consolidation: Find out ways in which you can consolidate your credit. This is especially important if you intend to avail a credit card without income proof. Credit consolidation will also help you in ensuring that your debt dues do not pile up over time. It will help in creating a positive impression towards a credit card issuer.
- Check Credit Reports: Before applying for a credit card and without income proof, make sure to go through your credit report and check its accuracy. This way, you will be better prepared for your application as you can get any errors rectified before making the application.
- Consider Freelance Jobs: Even if you lack income proof, you can showcase your consolidated income through various freelancing jobs. This will have a positive impact on the credit card issuer as they can determine your capability to make timely bill payments. Even if you cannot furnish proof of income, you can showcase your freelance career proof and convince the issuer.
List of Banks Providing Credit Cards Without Income Proof
Today, it is common for banks to provide credit cards without requiring proof of income from an individual applicant. Listed here are some of the Indian banks which offer credit cards without income proof:
- Syndicate Bank
- State Bank of India
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Andhra Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Central Bank of India
- Axis Bank
As an applicant, make sure to have an alternative financial backup if you are unable to furnish an income proof while applying for a credit card. This will help you easily get access to the desired credit card and make the most of the associated benefits even if you don’t have an income proof. Remember, banks and creditors look for a source of income and stability of earnings more than income proof alone.
- How Do I Get A Credit Card if I don’t have Salary Slips?
In the absence of salary slips, you can still obtain a credit card by offering a fixed deposit account as collateral. In case one of the family members already has a credit card, you can try for an add-on or supplementary card application.
- What documents are needed for a credit card?
Depending on your applicant categories like a salaried individual, businessman, NRI, or student, you will have to submit proof for address, identity, income, and age while making a credit card application.
- Can I get a credit card If I don’t have Income Tax Return?
Yes, you can get a credit card even if you don’t have Income tax return since credit card issuers generally do not require IT returns from applicants.
- Can credit cards be obtained only with income proof?
Most credit card issuers require proof of income at the time of making a credit card application. However, this is not necessary if an applicant can submit alternatives like bank statements.
- Is it beneficial to get a credit card using fixed deposits as collateral?
Offering a fixed deposit as collateral while submitting your credit card application can prove beneficial, especially if you are unable to furnish any proof of income.
- Can I apply for an HDFC credit card without having ITR or a salary slip?
This is not possible since HDFC bank does not provide credit cards without ITR or salary slip. However, you can speak to the bank and check if any other alternatives can be accepted as proof of income.