The Kisan Credit Card scheme is one of the schemes launched by the Government of India to provide farmers with easy access to credit. Established by NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development), this scheme was launched back in 1998 to provide short-term credit to farmers.
The KCC scheme was introduced to meet the credit requirements of farmers in the fields of agriculture, fisheries, animal husbandry, and related sectors. The idea of the scheme was to help farmers avail short-term loans and credit limits to buy equipment as well as cover other expenses. With KCC, farmers can get waivers from high-interest rates that are otherwise applicable to regular loans offered by banks. This is because the interest rate for KCC begins at only 2% and averages at 4%.
Through this scheme, farmers can easily repay their loans as per the harvesting timeline of their crop for which the credit was availed. This mainly provides short-term credit to farmers in the country. Farmers can easily avail of these loans for meeting their financial needs for agriculture. Through Kisan Credit Cards, farmers can avail attractive interest rates. The government has also ensured a smooth application process to improve farmers' interest in availing credit.
What are the eligibility criteria for a Kisan Credit Card?
Mentioned below are the SBI Kisan Credit Card eligibility Criteria:
- Any farmer, whether individuals, tenant farmers, joint cultivator owners, sharecroppers etc., can apply for this credit card
- Any self-help groups and joint liability groups that include tenant farmers are eligible to apply for SBI Kisan credit card
What are the documents required for a Kisan Credit Card?
Here are the documents required for the Kisan credit card application:
- Identity Proof - Aadhaar card, Voter’s ID card, PAN card, Passport, Driving licence or any other valid photo ID approved by the government.
- Address Proof - Passport, Aadhar card, Utility bills that are not older than three months or any other government-approved address proof.
Application Steps for Kisan credit card SBI
SBI has taken necessary measures to support Indian farmers by offering the Kisan credit card application process. SBI Kisan credit card application submission has to be done in person or physically. The applicant can download the application form from the SBI website or request the same at the nearest SBI branch.
- Individuals, sharecroppers, tenant farmers, and landowners are eligible for the SBI Kisan credit card.
- Farmers can request the application form from the nearest bank branch or download the same in PDF format from the SBI official website. Kisan credit card online application SBI form is available on the bank’s website.
- Applicants can fill the application and furnish it to the branch manager.
- The bank will process the application and call those who are eligible within 3 to 4 working days to inform them about further steps in the application process.
- The bank will then furnish information on the required documents for the process, following which, an appointment will be provided for document collection.
- Post successful verification of the documents, the bank will dispatch the Kisan credit card to the applicant’s registered address.
- After filling and submitting the application at the nearest SBI branch, the bank’s loan officer will review the application and grant the loan amount.
- Customers can begin using the loan amount upon receipt of their SBI Kisan credit card.
For additional details, one can contact the SBI Kisan credit card toll-free helpline number at 1800115526.
Once an individual has applied, the bank’s system will automatically generate a unique application reference number. It is important to make a note of the same for future reference.
What are the features & benefits of KCC?
Some of the noteworthy features and benefits of KCC are:
The flexibility of repayment & quick disbursement process
Blanket credit facility or term loan covering all agricultural & ancillary activities
Assistance in procurement of seeds, fertilizers etc. and in fetching cash discounts from traders or dealers
Credit can be availed for a period of a maximum of three years & repayment can be made post the completion of the harvest season
Minimal documentation & high level of flexibility for withdrawal of funds from the issuing bank
Funds withdrawal can be done from any of the bank’s branches anywhere in India
What are the interest and other charges on Kisan credit cards?
According to the Reserve Bank of India, the interest rates and credit limits on Kisan Credit Card and credit limits are to be decided by the issuing bank. The average interest rate may range between 9% to 14% per annum. Apart from this, there are a few subsidies and schemes that the government offers to farmers as far as the interest rate is concerned. The eligibility for the same depends on one’s repayment history & credit history.
Other fees including land mortgage deed charges, processing fees, insurance premium (as applicable), etc are left at the discretion of the issuing bank.
Kisan Credit Card SBI - important points to note
Here are some of the important points to note with regards to Kisan Credit Card:
- For cardholders who make timely payments of dues, the interest rate can be reduced
- Those customers who don’t pay as per the due dates may have to pay compound interest and also late payment fees in some cases
- Farmers are eligible to earn interest on the credit amount maintained in the KCC account
- Terms and conditions of the credit card could vary across areas and the type of crop raised by the applicant
With Kisan Credit Card, farmers can reduce their financial burden and avail easy credit which can be used for defined farming activities. Farmers can seek help from SBI branch executives to understand and execute the Kisan Credit Card application process. The bank has designated personnel to help applicants through the process.
- How can I get an SBI Kisan credit card?
It is easy to get an SBI Kisan credit card. To apply, one can download the form from the bank’s website. Alternatively, they can visit the nearest SBI bank branch. After filing the form, it can be submitted to the branch for processing.
- What are the benefits of the SBI Kisan Credit Card Scheme?
Some of the benefits of the SBI Kisan credit card scheme include the lowest interest rates on the loan amount and a quick disbursal of the loan amount.
- How can I check my SBI Kisan Credit Card account balance?
To check the SBI Kisan credit card account balance, a customer can log in to their SBI account. Alternatively, customers can also contact the SBI Bank customer care cell to check the KCC account balance at 1800 11 2211 or 1800 425 3800.
- What security will I have to give to the bank to secure the loan?
SBI does not require security on loans of up to Rs. 1.60 lakhs. On loan amounts beyond Rs. 1.60 lakhs, the bank requires security. The options of security include hypothecation of the crop sown through the loan or hypothecation of machinery availed using the loan amount.
- What is the interest rate on Kisan Credit Card Loan?
The interest rate charged by SBI bank on Kisan credit card loans is dependent on a few factors such as loan amount availed, loan tenure, type of crop to be sown, etc. Applicants with good credit history may get lower interest rates on these loans.
- What is a crop loan?
Crop loans are offered to farmers who need credit to meet their working capital requirements. Kisan credit card is a type of crop loan offered by banks and can be used for various purposes associated with agriculture.
- What is the validity period of the Kisan Credit Card?
The validity period of the Kisan credit card is 5 years. The tenure depends on the type of activity to be carried out by the applicant or user.