It is not possible to link a bank account in Google Pay without a debit card. You need an active debit card linked to your bank account to set up and use Google Pay. Make sure to have your debit card handy while activating Google Pay as you have to enter the last digits of your debit card during the verification process.
Here are the steps to add a bank account in Google Pay:
- Open the Google Pay app and tap on your profile picture at the top right section.
- Tap on “Add bank account”.
- Select your bank from the list. If your bank is not mentioned in this list, then it means it doesn’t work with Google Pay yet.
- An SMS will be sent from your mobile to the bank for verification. You may have to give Google Pay permission to send and receive the verification SMS.
- Choose your bank account which you want to link with Google Pay.
- Next, you will be taken to the account verification page. Follow the onscreen instructions and enter the last digits of your debit card.
- Google Pay then proceeds to create a UPI PIN. If you already have an active UPI PIN, you can use it. Else, you will be prompted to create a new UPI PIN.
- Upon successful OTP verification, your bank account is linked with Google Pay.
Additional Reading: How To Add Money In Paytm Without A Debit Card
If you notice the Google Pay screen with a tick mark and a notification sound, then it means your bank account has been successfully linked with Google Pay and you can use it for transactions on the app.
If you are using a Maestro debit card, then note that it does not have an expiry date. Use 01/49 as the expiry date when asked.
- Make sure that the Google Pay app is updated to the latest version.
- Do not close the app during registration to avoid errors.
- Check if your bank works with UPI. If your bank doesn’t have UPI then you won’t be able to link the bank account with Google Pay.
- Ensure that you’re using Google Pay from the device that contains the sim (mobile number) that you have registered with your bank.
- Make sure to check your internet connection – as it is essential to have good data connectivity for SMS verification.