Financial experts recommend that you start saving for retirement as soon as you start earning. The earlier you begin your retirement planning, the more money you will be able to save. When it comes to retirement, there are several investment options like:
- EPF (Employees Provident Fund)
- Mutual funds
- Stock market
- Insurance retirement plans
- NPS (National Pension Scheme)
Of all these, NPS is an excellent method to ensure a handsome pension after retirement. It is safe, backed by the government of India and offers good returns. Let us see, how you can get a pension of Rs. 50,000 per month by investing in the NPS.
Assume you are 29 years old now and you invest Rs. 10,000 per month in the NPS scheme. You will contribute to the NPS for 31 years, until you turn 60 i.e., till the time you retire. Assuming the average returns are 10%, you would have invested a total of Rs. 37,20,000. Your total corpus at the time of retirement would be Rs. 2,53,06,708.
If you purchase an annuity for 40% of the corpus, you would receive a lump sum of Rs. 1,51,84,025 when you turn 60. Additionally, you also get a pension of Rs. 50,613 every month till the time you die.
As you can see, by investing a specific sum every month, you can build a huge corpus and pension with NPS.
- Use the NPS calculator to help you plan your investments in accordance with your age.
- By entering the average monthly investment amount, the number of years, annuity and expected returns, you can quickly see how much pension you will get after retirement.
Recommended Read: 6 Reasons to Invest in NPS in 2021