Getting hold of a new debit/credit card makes one think that it can be used immediately. However, a new debit/credit card does not work without getting activated. It is very essential that one understands how to activate a new card so that you are not put in any kind of embarrassing situation.
How to activate my new debit/credit card?
A debit/credit card can be activated either online or offline via an ATM. These two activation procedures are to be undertaken within a certain time limit or else the PIN provided by the bank becomes invalid. Once your debit/credit card PIN number becomes invalid, then the card can only be activated through phone banking or by visiting your bank branch personally.
To avoid all these unnecessary hassles, it is better to get your debit/credit card activated, immediately on the receipt of the card.
Procedure To Activate New Card for Online Transactions
Your new debit/credit card welcome kit from the bank comes with a debit/credit card, which is followed by an ATM pin given in a sealed envelope.
Generate new ATM Pin for Debit/Credit Card via ATM
- Go to the ATM of your respective bank
- Enter your Debit/Credit Card inside the ATM slot
- Enter the ATM pin provided in the welcome kit
- Change ATM PIN prompt appears
- Change your ATM PIN
Generate new ATM Pin for Debit/Credit Card Online
- Visit the official website of your bank
- Select the ‘First-time user register now’ option
- Click Debit/ Credit Card from the Account Information drop-down menu option
- Validate your card by using the OTP sent on your registered mobile number
- Choose User ID
- Choose IPIN for logging into the bank’s online or Mobile App
- Select ATM PIN (APIN) which you can use for swiping transactions
Once IPIN and APIN have been created successfully, with the same credentials you can log in to your account and activate your debit/credit card.
Debit/Credit Card Activation via Internet Banking
- Go to the official net banking site of your bank
- Log in with your User ID and IPIN
- Select the ‘Card Activation’ option
- Enter your card number and expiry date of your new card, and your date of birth.
- Select ‘Submit’
- In the next screen enter your ATM PIN and select ‘Submit’
- Authenticate with the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Click ‘Continue’
Your card has been activated and is ready to be used.
Debit/Credit Card Activation via Mobile Application
- Install the Mobile App and click on the ‘Register or Activate a card’ option
- Select ‘Debit/Credit Card’ from the drop-down menu
- Either take a picture of your card where the card number is printed or enter the card information manually.
- Select ‘Next’ and validate your identity by entering OTP sent on your registered mobile number or through the registered email
- Create your User ID and Password
- Select ‘Next’, where you will have to enter security questions
- Your card has been activated and ready to be used
Debit/Credit Card Activation by contacting Customer Care
- Call the bank’s customer care from your registered mobile number
- Authenticate your details and follow as instructed
- Generate new ATM PIN
You can get your new debit/credit card activated by following any of the modes mentioned above.
1. What documents are required for identity verification when a new debit/credit is delivered to an individual?
Any of the below documents is a good proof of identity when getting a new credit/debit card delivered
- Driving License
- PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card
- Aadhaar Card
2. What is the process to activate the add-on debit/credit cards?
To activate an add-on debit or credit card, the same procedure as mentioned above has to be followed.
3. What are the various types of PINs?
There are three types of Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) namely
- APIN - ATM Personal Identification Number which is required ATMs, POS or for specific online transactions
- IPIN - Internet Personal Identification Number, to login into the Bank’s online/mobile banking portal
- TPIN - Telephone Personal Identification Number for carrying on transactions using 24 Hour Phone Banking Service
4. What happens if you do not activate your Debit/Credit card?
If you do not activate your debit/credit card within the specified time period, then the PIN provided by your bank gets invalid and you cannot make any further transactions on the card.
5. How can I get a new PIN from the bank?
If you have not activated your new debit/credit card within the time limit provided by your card provider, then your PIN provided gets invalid. To get a new PIN you will have to call the customer care of the bank or visit your bank branch personally to get your new PIN. Then, you will have to follow any of the procedures mentioned above for card activation.