Though you can send money to your usual savings account in India, it is against the law and you will be penalised for the transaction if it comes to the notice of the officials. After residing in a foreign country for more than 185 days, your resident status changes and you will be considered a Non-Resident Indian. Hence any money to be sent to your home country has to routed via NRE or NRO account as the Government wants to regulate the inflow of cash from foreign countries. You should inform the bank about the status change and it resident account can be converted to NRI account. The interest earned from NRE account is tax free, but if the interest is earned in through other investments are taxable.