Kisan Credit Card scheme was started with the aim of providing short-term formal credit to farmers. Farmers can avail loans to meet their agricultural needs under this scheme and that too at affordable interest rates. The government has also made the application process easier to increase interest among farmers. The repayment has also been simplified and dependent on the harvesting season, reducing the farmers’ debt burden. The features associated with the card are mentioned below:
- Credit to meet the financial requirements of agricultural and similarly related activities
- Farmers can also get investment credit for agricultural requirements such as diary animals, pump sets etc.
- Kisan Credit Card holders will also get crop insurance coverage for notified crops and notified areas.
- Collateral security is waived for Kisan Credit Card limit up to Rs. 1.60 lakhs
- Free ATM cum debit card for all Kisan Credit Card borrowers
- All farmers - individuals/joint cultivator owners, oral lessees, sharecroppers, SHG or joint liability groups including tenant farmers
- Minimum age to apply is 18 years and the maximum age to apply is 75 years
- If the applicant is a senior citizen, he or she would need a co-applicant who is their heir