Interested in financial products

What Is PAN Migration?

When an assessee changes his permanent residential address from one state to another, he must have his PAN transferred to the new Assessing Officer. This will allow the new A.O. to process the assessee's return filed from the new Income Tax jurisdiction.

Why Is It Necessary To Migrate My PAN?

Your income tax is filed under the respective jurisdiction of your residence. Each taxpayer is allocated an Assessing Officer (AO) to process their income tax returns.

When you change your address, it becomes more difficult to communicate with the assessing officer in the event of a dispute. Furthermore, it becomes difficult for the AO to assess your tax details because he may not have easy access to all of your personal information. As a result, you should have your PAN migrated to the AO whose jurisdiction your address falls under.

Another reason to migrate your PAN is when you want to change your AO if you believe his behaviour is unprofessional or he is inefficient in carrying out his duties. The IT department allows you the option to change your AO by migrating your PAN.

How Does One Migrate Their PAN?

Please follow the below steps to migrate your PAN to a new Assessing Officer in case of change in permanent address:

To migrate your PAN to the new AO, you must submit an application to the current AO.

For this change, an application must be sent from the destination (new) AO to the current AO.

The transfer request must be accepted by the source AO (current).

If the request is accepted by the source AO, the application is forwarded to the current Income Tax Commissioner for his approval.

Once approved, the PAN is transferred to the jurisdiction of the destination AO.

If the source AO does not approve the request, the migration is halted and the destination O has no control over the application.

Steps To Migrate Your PAN In Case Of Dissatisfaction With Your AO

If you are dissatisfied with the Assessing Officer's behavior or believe he is not carrying out his duties effectively, you can request that he be replaced. To change your AO due to his behavior, follow the steps outlined below:

Send a letter to the Ombudsman with your complete application information.

Mention your specific concerns and why you want your AO changed.

If the ombudsman believes your request is credible, he will sign the application and forward it to the Income Tax Commissioner.

Your Assessing Officer is changed upon his approval, and the jurisdiction of your PAN is transferred to a new AO.

How Can I Find Out My New Jurisdiction And The Respective A.O?

The jurisdiction of your new address and the new A.O. can be found on the official website in the column 'Field Offices' of various states, where the officers' designation and contact numbers are listed.

How Will I Know That My PAN Has Been Transferred To The New A.O.?

The current status of the PAN's jurisdictional A.O. can be found on the website in the column "KNOW YOUR JURISDICTIONAL A.O."

Why Is It Important To Have Your PAN Card Details Updated

A PAN card is an important document needed for various financial transactions in India.

Identity Verification

A PAN card, in addition to an AADHAR card or voter ID card, can be used to prove your identity. PAN cards are useful for a variety of financial transactions.

Income Returns

Individuals and entities eligible to file IT returns must have a PAN card.

Make a claim on your tax returns

There are times when the tax due is greater than the TDS deducted. In such cases, the excess amount can be claimed by linking the taxpayer's PAN card to his or her bank account.

To open a bank account

You can easily open a bank account by submitting the required documents, such as a PAN card.

Financial transactions

A PAN card is required as proof when buying, renting, or selling property in India.

Applying for a loan

At the time of loan application, you must submit all required documents, including your PAN card. Any type of loan, including education and personal loans, requires a PAN card.

Investing In Bank FDs

A PAN card is required if you want to invest more than Rs. 50,000 in a Fixed Deposit. Because the bank will deduct TDS on the amount of the FD interest, it is required.

New telephone connections and mobile phone SIM cards

You must give your PAN number to cellular operators if you want a new phone or mobile connection.

Purchasing jewelry

You must provide your PAN card information when purchasing jewelry worth more than Rs 5,00,000.

Foreign Currency Exchange

If you want to exchange Indian currency for foreign currency, you must provide the information from your PAN card to the money exchange institution.

Investing in share market and mutual funds

If you intend to invest in securities and your transaction exceeds Rs. 50,000, you must provide your PAN details to the relevant authorities. PAN card information is required for mutual funds, debentures, and stocks.

Acquisition of goods and services

The purchaser or seller must provide his or her PAN card information for transactions involving more than Rs. 2 lakhs in the purchase or sale of goods and services.


1. Is it possible to apply for a pan card from a different state?

When an assessee's permanent residential address changes from one state to another, his PAN must be migrated to the new Assessing Officer. This will allow the new A.O. to process the assessee's return filed at his new address.

2. When should I get my PAN migrated?

In the following circumstances, individuals can change their PAN jurisdiction:

  • When you move or change your permanent address
  • When one is dissatisfied with the jurisdiction area's Assessing Officer due to unprofessional behavior or conduct

3. In what circumstances can PAN be transferred without the AO's approval?

If the "AO's" behavior is deemed unprofessional and he is not carrying out his duties properly, you can get the transfer without the AO's approval.

4. What is the mobile app for PAN migration?

The income tax department has released a new Aaykar Setu mobile application that makes PAN migration easier. Install the app and select the 'Get a Question' option to apply for PAN card migration.

5. Do the personnel of armed forces need to migrate their PAN too?

People serving in the Armed Forces are usually given a PAN based on their office address or current posting location. The PAN should be transferred to the jurisdictional A.O. in their hometown or state of residence after retirement.

×Thank you! Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly.

CreditMantri will never ask you to make a payment anywhere outside the secure CreditMantri website. DO NOT make payment to any other bank account or wallet or divulge your bank/card details to fraudsters and imposters claiming to be operating on our behalf. We do not sell any loans on our own and do not charge any fee from our customers/viewers for the purpose of loan application