Interested in financial products

Have you unexpectedly damaged your vehicle and are wondering how to raise a claim with your insurer? Let’s help you out with a step-by-step guide.

1.  Initial steps to follow before filing a claim

  •  Immediately inform the insurer about the incident (accident or theft)
  •  Register an FIR with the area police

2. Details required for filing a claim

  •  Policy number
  •  Engine and chassis number
  •  Contact details
  •  Details of the insured person
  •  Details of the accident/theft (date, time, place, etc.)
  • Details of the motor vehicle (number, model, class, manufacture year, registration details, etc.)
  •  Approximate loss figure
  •  Description of the event (theft, accident, etc.)
  •  Details of the other vehicle involved, in case of an accident
  •  Declaration and contact details of witnesses
  •  Claim/reference number 

There are three scenarios under which you can file a claim on your vehicle insurance.

In case of own damage:

If you have accidentally damaged your car on your own, you can raise a claim for it, if you have purchased a comprehensive insurance policy. A comprehensive insurance cover provides you protection in case of damages caused to your own car, third person or property.

  • You have to inform your insurance company within 36-48 hours of the damage. Before moving the vehicle from the accident spot, consult the insurance company. The car will be towed to the nearest garage station. A surveyor will be sent by the insurance company to assess the extent of damage done. You can opt for cashless claim service, if the car is repaired at a garage that falls under the network of the insurer. On the basis of the coverage and the repair costs, the claim will be settled.
  • At the time of filing the claim, you will also have to submit documents such as registration certificate, policy copy, driving license, claim form, FIR copy and other documents.

In case of damage caused to your vehicle by a third party:

Third party insurance provides coverage to the third person in case you have damaged, injured or caused death to the said party. You can claim compensation towards damage caused by your vehicle to the third party by following the steps outlined below.

  • File an FIR at the police station.
  • In case the witnesses are ready to support your claim, note down their names and contact details.
  • Take pictures and record videos of the accident site.
  • Take down the details of the third party involved. Also note the details of the third party i.e. policy details, vehicle number, name, contact details, etc.
  • Inform the insurance company about the accident. It is necessary that you intimate the company within 36-48 hours of the accident.
  • Your case will be registered at the tribunal court. The insurer will pay for the claim based on the ruling of the tribunal court.

In case of theft:

If your vehicle was stolen, then you can claim compensation from the insurance company by registering a theft claim.

  • As soon as you find out your vehicle is stolen, visit the nearest police station and file an FIR.
  • Intimate the insurance company within 24-48 hours of the theft.
  • Inform the RTO authority at which your vehicle is registered.
  • You will have to submit documents such as no trace report, invoice of the vehicle, registration certificate, car keys and others.
  • In case the car is not recovered, your claim will be cleared by the insurance company.
Apply for a credit score
×Thank you! Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly.

CreditMantri will never ask you to make a payment anywhere outside the secure CreditMantri website. DO NOT make payment to any other bank account or wallet or divulge your bank/card details to fraudsters and imposters claiming to be operating on our behalf. We do not sell any loans on our own and do not charge any fee from our customers/viewers for the purpose of loan application