Primary Functions of the Ministry of Jal Shakti
The Ministry of Jal Shakti, as mentioned earlier, is vested with the primary objective of managing the country’s water resources. They carry out various functions through the following operations:
- In the water management sector, they are involved in strategic planning, strategy development, coordination and direction.
- Professional advice, inspection, drainage clearing and monitoring, flood management and multi-purpose (major/medium) projects;
- Project funding for general infrastructural, technological, and science.
- Project funding through Central Financial Assistance for specific projects and assistance in obtaining External Finance from the World Bank and other agencies.
- Complete policy formulation, preparation and direction about Minor Irrigation and Command Area Development, Centrally Sponsored Schemes management and supervision and promotion of Participatory Irrigation Management.
- General preparation for the production of groundwater supplies, the creation of utilizable infrastructure and the design of strategies for the utilization, monitoring and promotion of operations at State level in the production of groundwater.
- Formulation of the regional outlook on water production and the assessment of the water balance of various basins / sub-basins for consideration of inter-basin transition possibilities.
- Coordination, consultation and facilitation over the settlement of conflicts or disputes pertaining to Inter-State Rivers and, in some cases, supervision of inter-state project execution.
- Ensure successful pollution abatement and rejuvenation of the Ganga River by implementing a river basin strategy to facilitate cross-sectoral cooperation for holistic planning and management.